Monday, April 25, 2011



Last summer, I froze fifteen batches of tomatoes/fifteen different ways. Take a peek online (or don't because I did the dirty work) and you will find a mind-numbing amount of ways to properly freeze the jewels of summer. I have finally worked my way through the crop and have concluded:
1) if you want tomato sauce, make tomato sauce and freeze it.
2) if you want tomatoes for unknown purposes (chili, stews, etc.): score an x on the top of the tomato and freeze with the skin attached. When ready to use, drop into boiling water for a second, take out of water and quickly peel. Use as directed.
**I peeled and froze a few batches and they held onto more water than the unpeeled group. This makes a heck of a difference when you are trying to make a lovely fresh-off- the-vine sauce in the dead of winter.
Just my two cents on the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment