Saturday, January 8, 2011

Carrots roasted with horseradish & honey


Beyond bloody marys and cocktail sauce, I haven't really found a place for horseradish. It's a staple in my fridge - but, I hate condiments to sit so lonely on the shelf. The mustards come and go, the coveted cholula, soy sauce gone before I know it, but the silent soldier horseradish is pushed to the back of the line.
It seems an unlikely marriage of flavors. No one would ever know it is horseradish. It just tastes like it was meant to be. I served with a roast pork tenderloin and apples.

Carrots roasted with horseradish & honey

Bunch of organic carrots (6-8), stems cut and peeled, cut into quarters
1/4 cup prepared horseradish (currently, I have Gold's)
1/4 cup honey
**The horseradish and honey can be altered to taste. I like this recipe so much that I now use 1/2 cup horseradish to a 1/4 cup of honey. But, in the beginning, when I was scared to death of what this would taste like, I skimped on the horseradish.
Salt and Pepper to taste
Drizzle of olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place empty cookie sheet or roasting pan in oven. When oven heats to 450 degrees, leave pan in oven for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the carrots, whisk horseradish into honey, add salt and pepper. Toss carrots and sauce together, drizzle with olive oil and toss again.
Take pan out- add carrots and place back into oven. Roast for 25-30 minutes or to your liking!

No comments:

Post a Comment